Ground beef on the grill can be delicious when it’s well prepared. I have developed a way to make it tasty as well as healthier…
INGREDIENTS for 2 servings
- ½- ¾ lbs (200-300 g) ground beef. I like good quality, lean beef, so I choose a piece of meat and ask the butcher to grind it for me.
- 3-4 tbsp (45ml) Le Grand Sun-dried Tomato Pesto (you can also use one of the Tapenades)
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3tbsp (45ml) tamari
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices Swiss, Cheddar or any other cheese you prefer
- 1 minced scallion
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients, setting aside the cheese and scallion.
- Marinate for an hour or two
- Shape into patties and place on a perforated grilling pan; this keeps the heat from charring the meat, and as the water evaporates, it keeps the meat moist. I discovered this little trick while emptying a pesto container; I always swish a little water in the bag to get all the sauce out. It’s great to add to vinaigrettes or to thin a sauce.
- When the burgers are almost done, top with the cheese and the minced scallion. You are now ready to savor this guilt-free burger!